At the end of 2015, which feels like many, many years ago, I wrote a post on the top comments of the year which started like this:
Most of us at Gawker Media are happy to say goodbye to this garbage year, but our community of commenters was as good as ever in 2015.
Yes, that’s right: at one point I was looking forward to 2016. On behalf of Gawker!
Anyways, as moronically misguided as I was, people still came back and posted in 2016. And I *still* strongly believe that we don’t do enough to recognize the greatness that our community brings to our site. To try to at least partially correct this injustice, here are the most recommended (non-GMG employee) comments across our platform (minus Gawker, which I no longer have access to) in 2016.
12) Rodney Harrison: “Colin Kaepernick, He’s Not Black” [Update]
11) Stormfront On Steve Bannon’s Appointment: “It Doesn’t Get Any Better Than This”
10) After Donald Trump Went Crazy Calling Megyn Kelly Crazy, Fox News Kinda Did Something
9) This Is Why You Don’t Ask the Internet to Name Things
8) Ecuador Cops Save Tiny Terrified Sloth In Most Adorable Highway Rescue Ever
7) Stanford Swimmer’s Non-Apology Is A Pathetic Piece Of Deflection And Self-Pity
6) Please Click and Share on Facebook: These Legs Are Just Like the Dress But Different
5) Ana Navarro Obliterates Trump Surrogate Offended That She Keeps Quoting Donald Trump
4) Anti-Vaxx Couple Allegedly Allowed Toddler to Die of Meningitis By Treating Him Themselves
3) Sad! These People Already Regret Voting for Trump
2) Phillies’ “Pistachio Girl” Fired For Being A White Nationalist
1) Tim Tebow Hit A Home Run On The First Pitch
Thanks for sticking around everyone. We hope to see all of you in the coming year!
PS: we have an early leader for 2017!